08 September 2008

Dr. Nancy Mao Gevirtz


Nancy and I were acquaintances and both members of the same Jewish community she always had a kind word and a smile when we greeted each other. We both had a child in the same class for several years at the Jewish Day School. Nancy's daughter, Rachel, was my son's classmate.

At first I was told that Nancy was retiring from practicing medicine because she was ill, it was not until I saw her several months later that I realized just how ill she was.

We were arriving one evening to attend a school play, I believe it was the 4th grade play. I saw Nancy for the first time and I could tell that she was in a great deal of pain and it was a struggle to stand let alone walk. My emotional reaction was to cry that evening for her, her children and her husband.

You see the smile in this photo...this is the smile that Nancy always had...And as her illness wore on I could still see her smile as she attended various functions for her daughter.

Nancy never stopped smiling or living.

Only this evening as my son and I took a walk did I learn that Nancy passed on a few weeks ago. My heart broke right there in the middle of the sidewalk several blocks from home.

I mourn for Nancy and the loss of her children. As a mother I understand how we want to be there to watch our children grow.

Nancy was a loving and devoted mother and she continued to smile. This is the way I will always remember Nancy.

You and your beautiful smile will be missed Nancy.

May your family be comforted among the mourners of Tzion.

Nancy, may you find comfort and rest in the shelter of The Most High. Baruch'Hu.


Dr. Nancy Mao Gevirtz
Dr. Nancy Mao Gevirtz of South Whitehall Township, passed away on August 25, after a valiant battle with scleroderma. She was 48. She was the daughter of Rita Mao Myrick, wife of Bert Myrick and the late Joseph T.K. Mao. She was married to Dr. Jeffrey Gevirtz for 17 years. Nancy graduated from Dumont High School, New Jersey, in 1978, Brown University in 1982, and Rutgers Medical School in 1986. She did her clinical medicine at Hartford Hospital in 1990. Nancy practiced medicine for 10 years with Sam Bub, M.D. and Associates and worked as a summer camp physician at Camp Harlam. Nancy has been an active and beloved leader in her community for many years. She received the George Feldman Achievement Award for her service to the Jewish community, she was president of the Womens Division of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley (J.F.L.V.) and served on the boards of the J.F.L.V., the Jewish Day School and Congregation Keneseth Israel (K.I.). She was a member of K.I. and of Temple Beth El. Survivors: Husband; mother; her children, Sam and Rachel; sisters, Elaine Hui, wife of Dr. Thomas Hui, Kim Judge, wife of Glenn Judge; sister-in-law, Tracy Weinstein, wife of Dr. David Weinstein; brother-in-law, Stephen Gevirtz, husband of Karen Gevirtz, and their families; and by many friends whose lives she touched so deeply. Services: Funeral services will be held today, August 27 at 11 a.m. in Congregation Keneseth Isreal, 2227 Chew Street, Allentown. Shiva will be observed at the Gevirtz residence August 27, 28, 30, 31, and September 1 at 7 p.m. with Minyan at 8 p.m. Arrangements by Bachman, Kulik & Reinsmith Funeral Home, Allentown. Contributions: In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions be made to the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley, 702 N. 22nd Street, Allentown, PA 18104, the Scleroderma Foundation, Attn: Donations, 300 Rosewood Drive Suite 105, Danvers, MA 01923 or by calling 1-800-722-4673, or to the charity of your choice.
Published in the Morning Call on 8/27/2008

No comments: